Ask a Question

can my husband adopt my daughter if there is no known father on the BC?

+1 vote
First off, I don't want to spend time going through smart-ass answers, so if you have one don't bother. I had my amazing little girl 5 yrs ago. Her bio father left me the first few months of the pregnancy. I ended up getting with a guy that I thought loved us months later. When she was 5 mo old he signed on the BC by just going to the health dept. They asked no questions since there was no known father on the bc. We married a few months later. Our marriage lasted only a few months and he left us. In the divorce he wanted his name off the bc and went as far as asking for a dna test to prove he was not the bio father to get out of having to take care of her after the divorce. Of corse I didn't fight any of it. I didn't want him in her life if he didn't want to be. He won and her last name went back to my maiden name, and so did mine. I met someone shortly after. We have been together ever since. We got married and have a baby together. We would love for him to adopt her and for her to share our last name. She is at the age where she is realizing she is the only one with a different last name. How do we go about having my husband take over? She only knows him as her dad because she was only a yr when my ex left. We want her to feel like she is as important as our other daughter because she is.
asked Dec 29, 2012 in Divorce by chelseahill723 Newbie (120 points)

1 Answer

+3 votes
Yes, your husband can adopt your daughter by adding his name on the birth certificate at the health department.
answered Jan 16, 2014 by jjohnson Inquisitive Expert (54,120 points)


ExplainPlease on Facebook

75,014 questions

48,872 answers


82,591 users