Ask a Question

How to respond to the opposing attorney about a switch in child custody when the proposal is obscure?

+6 votes


My ex-spouse and I currently share joint physical custody with our young daughter in Black Hawk County; and have been for the past 4 years. I get her every other week and on Wednesday for the week she's with him. I just got a letter from his lawyer saying that he's relocating to the Quad Cities on June 3rd (tomorrow) and that he "will agree to the following as a temporary settlement of the custody matters. If this situation becomes permanent or reverts back to the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area, the original agreement will resume. He would agree to you having temporary primary care of (Daughter) during the school year. (He) would enjoy every other weekend...." He wants the every other week schedule to resume in the summer and wants 2 weeks in June and 2 weeks in July with her. 


Me having primary physical care of our daughter is what I always wanted for her but I don't understand is the attorney's statement: "If this situation becomes permanent.....the original agreement will resume." If he permanently moves there, she can't go to him every other week all year long like now. It wouldn't work for her school schedule. So I'm confused about that, and if I get primary physical custody of her, I would like to move to another state that would be 4 hours from him. I would be more financially sound there and my family is there as I've only been in Black Hawk county because of him. How would I go about this?

asked Jun 3, 2013 in Divorce by mrktg Newbie (140 points)

1 Answer

+3 votes
I guess the best way is ti hire a lawyer and see what he tells, i feel you should plan accordingly as lawyer says.
answered Jun 7, 2013 by jspencer Inquisitive Expert (68,920 points)


ExplainPlease on Facebook

75,014 questions

48,872 answers


82,591 users